Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Mezuzah, A Friend, A New Way

Do you ever think of your former self and roll your eyes?  I do - almost daily.  I try to show myself grace - there's a good reason to do that - but some days that grace is shared with the eye rolling look.

There are eyes rolling back at me when I use the phrase .... "You know my friend - oh the one I haven't met yet - but that I know because of the internet".... K4 (husband who doesn't have facebook, instagram, twitter - barely email) just rolls his eyes when I talk about my friends in the computer land of my life.

However it really isn't any different that our pen pals from the days we grew up.  And I had pen pals back then too!!!  Thankful for the internet and the quick exchange of life we can have back and forth. And as strange as it sounds to even myself - some of these pen pals of the 21st century are some of my dearest friends.


Look! I'm standing at the door and knocking. If any hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to be with them, and will have dinner with them, and they will have dinner with me.(Jesus' words - not mine although I feel the same way ... Just come over!)

My front door - it is hard to see with the dark picture - but on the right hand side about 3/4 up of the door frame is a Mezuzah.


I received this mezuzah from one of those Pen Pals - Lori from Seattle.

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

According to Lori - in old Jerusalem one would place the mezuzah by the door of the home - inside the mezuzah is a scroll with a prayer - in this case a prayer from Psalms 91.  My friend Lori traveled to the old countries this past January - she posted her journey on facebook and it was beautiful.  And she brought back this mezuzah for me.  She also has one in her home - and she brought one for another friend too (another friend who I know through the world of internet ...).

Years ago - along with my Rosary beads in my bedroom - the mezuzah would be something that would cause me to "roll my eyes".  I had such a narrow view of religious traditions - a narrow view that created this thought that my evangelical background was the only truth.  Really.  I seriously wondered about everyone else.  Most of that wondering happened in my teens - but even as I aged - I still thought that there were certainly some hard and fast rules to what really mattered.

Then I found pen pals.

And when one starts putting a face to the things we have not allowed into our hearts - it is game over and we have to deconstruct in places we did not even know needed a construction sign.

Because for me - all people have access to this heaven thought and all people can have Jesus ways - and all people I can love.

So at Christmas time this year we had a menorah and while I did not remember to light the candles and say the prayers every night - I loved seeing it - I loved thinking about it - I loved realizing that Jesus' family would have had a menorah.  I just forget that Jesus was not a white evangelical living in the Bible belt of the United States.  Most days I don't even realize who Jesus was as a person and what that means.

Area by my front door - Christmas 2019

I am so thankful for the college roommate who gave me Rosary beads from her trip to the old country.  Beads that remind me of the Traditions of the church.  As Mitch Finley said in his book "The Rosary Handbook:  A Guide for Newcomers, Old-Timers, and Those in Between" 

Sacred Tradition is the life of the church - meaning all of us - from the beginning right down to the present day. 



The bible that the rosary beads are laying on is new.  It is a Complete Jewish Study Bible:  Insights for Jews & Christians.  

Every time I walk out the front door - notice the mezuzah - I think of Lori.  I am thankful for her friendship.  I know I am a better person because I know her.  I do wish Seattle and Graham were closer on the map - I know I would enjoy daily visits in person with her.  Sometimes you just find those people in the world who you know are ones you are supposed to know.

This was on Lori's facebook page.
Lori reminds me.  Lori challenges me.  Lori inspires me.  Years ago I would have stayed clear of meeting Lori - years ago our paths would not have crossed.  Today I am thankful they have.  She is a bright light in a sometimes dreary world of hate.  



from the Jewish bible:

for he will order his angels to care for you and guard you wherever you go.

Thankful that Lori is guarded - 

Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment