Sunday, April 27, 2014

If You're Ready .... Come Go With Me

Why is it that death shows us how to live?

I have watched our community - and those surrounding us completely come together after the tragedy we experienced.

The loss of a teenager always hurts.  The loss always makes us snap back into the reality that we are only here for a short time.

But we have known that all along.  And death taught us how to live a long time ago.

Many years ago our sixth grade class lost a classmate.  She was in a car wreck with her mom & sister and Sherry left instantly.  When we were in first grade we were all invited to a birthday party for a classmate.  Birthday parties in the early 1970s were fun and everyone wanted to be there (I am thinking that hasn't changed) - Sherry could not go - her parents would not take her but our first grade teacher did.  Our teacher left school with Sherry - took her to the party - and then back to school before the buses ran.  That first grade teacher... my mom.

Without any doubt I know my mom is so glad that she took the time to love Sherry and do something out of her way to make Sherry's life better.  This week I found a valentine from Sherry. (not a day to get aggravated at my mom for keeping everything!)



So how to live?


I know I forget.  In our Wednesday night ladies Bible study group we talk about LOVE  - all.the.time.  Sometimes I want to roll my eyes when I realize that yet once again - every discussion ends up at that point - LOVE.  Simply LOVE.  

It should not be so difficult.  

This conversation makes me want to sing (or rather listen to others who really can - and sing along!)....

Have you heard of The Staple Singers?  I feel quite sure I watched them on "Soul Train" - what a great show!!



Their song "If You're Ready" is a great reminder of what it is all about.  Take some time & search You Tube and see their Soul Train performance.  

If you're ready, Come go with me.
No hatred - will be tolerated
Peace & Love will grow between the races
Love is the only transportation to where there's total communication

Live today - like He taught us to live.  With love for each - taking time to be a part of someone's life - showing love to others while they are here - while we can receive the love right back.  

Back of the t shirt created to remember Candice Martin 1996-2014.


We went to FUMC today as our sweet friend was confirmed.  The quote during the sermon was just a perfect reminder....



Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment