Monday, September 12, 2011

He Inhabits Praise...

When you’re up against a struggle
That shatters all your dreams
And your hopes have been cruelly crushed
By Satan’s manifested schemes.
And you feel the urge within you
To submit to earthly fears
Don’t let the faith you’re standing in
Seem to disappear.

Praise the Lord….
He can work through those who praise Him
Praise the Lord
For our God inhabits praise
Praise the Lord
For the chains that seem to bind you
Serve only to remind you
That they drop powerless behind you
When you Praise Him.

I grew up in Perrin, Texas and worshiped at FBC, Perrin.  I love that church.  One summer we went to an Imperials concert.  I tend to be obsessive, compulsive about music and particularly lyrics.  The “Praise the Lord” song was recorded by Russ Taff & the Imperials somewhere between 1978-1981 – and was written in 1978 by Brown Bannister & Mike Hudson.  I memorized the song years ago and I still know those lyrics today!  My poor parents (you know those people that gave Greta the name of Cheryl…..)  – we did not have internet back then….. so in order to know the lyrics – I had to play the song over and over and over and over.  Needless to say “Praise the Lord” wasn’t the only song I memorized! J

I have the song on my iPhone now and I played it on my way to church this week.  Struggles have seemed a little to close to home and a little to frequent of late.  Mine are certainly not more than anyone else’s but I realize that any time struggles happen with those closest to us – it just weighs heavily on our hearts and our minds.  For me it is easy to know that God is going to take care of me – in the big picture but I think I tend to submit to earthly fears on the day to day matters. 

And of course – as usual God just works when we need him to work!  Our minister shared from Psalm 29 this same day.  I particularly heard the following:

When we realize who God is – God is in charge. He is enthroned over the flood (over my struggles….) – enthroned as King forever…. “The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.”  Psalm 29:11.

Now Satan is a liar
And he wants to make us think –
That we are paupers, when he knows himself
We are children of the King.
So lift up the mighty shield of faith
For the battle must be won
We know that Jesus Christ has risen
So the work’s already done….

Say an extra prayer for those people that gave Greta the name of Cheryl and taught me to Praise the Lord.



Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Thanks for sharing. Music carries so much meaning. I love this song and Keith Green's music is so powerful, those songs really helped me during my late teens and early 20s. David Belding

    ReplyDelete