Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fine Lines...


Forever we have heard the expression "that's a fine line between ...." or "walk a fine line" and even "thin line".  I feel quite sure you understand my reference. All of those basically mean that there's a very small difference between the items - small distinction.
These are some of my favorite lines!!!

So - to me there's a fine line between opinion & judgment. I am somewhat concerned that where I am headed in this blog entry is going to get mushy but I must continue. My cause comes from seeing the world with a big divide that only seems to get larger. 

In many ways the divide is becoming greater and we as a society seem to be moving farther apart. In our quest to have opinions - in our quest to provide "perfect" - in our quest to be about ourselves we have created a deeper chasm between ......

When my boys were growing up, we had a great opportunity to have a significant opinion & judgment about their beliefs. Perhaps even have that influence as long as they are receiving money & living under our roof. We certainly have had the responsibility to share what we believed to be the truth - particularly Biblical truths with our boys. Those teachings have never been really "tested" - pretty much how we felt was the norm for our environment. 

Our boys in 1994

Our boys are our responsibility. It's our job to provide these teachings - its our job to provide guidance - direction and we felt like it was our job to provide a Christian environment for them - a Christian environment that we chose. Our choice is just that - our choice. There are certainly many great Christian parents who make choices every day that may not look like our choices.   

I think the "church" should also provide instruction & direction for our family too. Since we have chosen to be there and have chosen to learn I suspect the will be opportunities for instruction. I think one kind of assumes that we are in church to learn .....



However - what am I to do when that norm of my environment is tested? How do I act - how do I react - what is my responsibility to that world?  

I must practice love. We have a hurting world and that world does not need me to tell them how much I disagree with their choices. That hurting world does not need me to determine if they are right or wrong. That hurting world needs to feel love. 

Yes I think we have to stand for the things that we believe to be right & wrong - of course. But what does that stance look like?

First of all we have to consider that deeper chasm. It has been created because it takes a lot less time to spew our opinions & thoughts into someone else's life than it does to take time to learn about them and show love. Sometimes in order to show love we have to understand - in order to understand we have to take the time ....

Just love .... If we make our decisions and share our opinions with love as the agenda - I think that fine line is ..... Well not so important. 

From MLK, Jr:

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.
Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.
Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.




Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment