Sunday, March 24, 2019

7 Until .... 7 Days of Grace

I have found my birth mother.

Let me say that again.

I have found my birth mother.

I actually figured it out a little over a month ago and the last few weeks we have spent connecting - and she has had to figure out how to maneuver through her family.

Her Family.

Oh my word... And My Family.




When I really began trying to figure out which of my birth parents was connected to the Witt Family - we searched records and records and records on the Ancestry website, the Find a Grave website, and just about anywhere else we could think of.

I got pretty descent at recognizing names, dates, and figuring out how they fit together.

7

I found - seven generations:

7 - My Birth Mother
6 - My Grandfather - My Grandmother (they had 6 children)
Albert Royce Witt & Lucille Eleanor Witt (oh by the way - she passed away in 2016 .... I just barely missed her!)
5 - Her Paternal Grandparents - Her Maternal Grandparents
William & Creta Kelley Witt - Rollie Edward & Tina Dalton West
4 - Michael Witt (Although I found his name spelled Mikel also) and Leander West
3 - Burgess Witt and Jesse & Cecelia West
2 - Burgess Witt and William Preston West
1 - Hezekiah Witt and Thomas West are the 7th generation back.

When I started this journey - I had the opportunity to email my cousin.  We did not know we were first cousins at the time - in fact most things indicated to us that I was a second cousin.  But he shared:

The Witt family can be traced back to within about 60 years of the founding of Jamestown.
Some fought in the American Revolutionary War and the families settled in the Appalachian Mountains.

Those 2 pieces of information were the beginning and everywhere Kerry and I turned on the search landed us in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee.  That alone just blew my mind.   I never in my wildest dreams (which have been happening for about 40 years) did I dream that I would be part of a family with such a rich American Frontier history.  I honestly should have paid more attention in all of those history classes.  It would make this research much easier.

I never dreamed of finding such an identified family. I realize that "we" all can end up in Jamestown - but I can get really close to finding the person in Jamestown.  Wow.

Revolutionary War - Civil War (with ancestors that fought on both sides - the brothers against brothers/cousins against cousins is very real in the Witt / West families)



When it became obvious that my ancestors were truly the Witt Family and after every ancestor showed up in the cemeteries in Monroe County Tennessee - I decided the first trip to Tennessee would include walking on that land.

The land where I began.  But the best part of the story....

When I shared my travel itinerary with my birth mother - she emailed the following:

God has led me to see you when you come.  Are you interested in having company on your trip to Tellico Plains and Coker Creek?  

I absolutely could not stop crying.  That was the moment that I realized I will meet my birth mother.  I will see her - 

She will go with us - to the very place that I have been wanting to go.



And so ... 
7 Days of Grace
7 days until I am in Tennessee 
7 Generations
7 to Love






Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

3 comments:

  1. There are no words Cheryl! Your happiness is my happiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredible!! I'm so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing story. I just happened across this blog, and I am so thankful I did. In all the years i have known you and your parents growing up in Perrin, Texas, i never knew you were adopted. I am so happy for you and your family....or families.

    ReplyDelete