Monday, June 24, 2013

Wallendas.......?

Sometimes I fail to connect all the pieces - and while I read a bunch now as an adult, I certainly did not growing up.  Which is kind of strange in and of itself.  My mom is a reader, she was not only my first grade teacher - but she was a Librarian too.  She reads constantly and I guess I have decided that reading is just as enjoyable as she thinks.  I told a friend just today that I am a "book-aholic".

My mom & me - Mother's Day 2013

So while I am watching the ridiculous walk across the Grand Canyon on the Discovery Channel - I did not realize just who the "Wallenda" family is - it really never entered my mind until we were at my mom's.  Kerry and I were telling them about the event - switched the TV over and Kerry said, "oh she will recognize the name."  And sure enough - my well read mother remembered this name from years gone back - so even though we did not have the Discovery Channel, internet, and instant access news - my mother still knew of "The Flying Wallendas".

I don't know if this is an actual picture or maybe a picture from the movie - but nonetheless - The Flying Wallendas....


I did not realize that I should know the name when Kerry was telling me about this amazing feat that was going to be aired on Live TV but it seems as if others knew the name....

I saw a Facebook post from a friend:


Kelly Strickland Green
Oh, please! Not another rain delay! I really don't want to watch Nick Wallenda walk across the Grand Canyon.


I can agree with Kelly - the walk across was just almost more than I could stand - in fact I missed the ending because I was talking on the phone - that was planned - I did not want to watch.  But I did record the event so that when he was successful I could go back and watch.

Nik kneels to steady himself - gain control - rest while the wind current whirled around him.  A newspaper account of the event stated, "Twice he stopped. Kneeling to regain his composure and steady the wire quivering beneath his feet."


There are just a couple of things I want to recall - and quite honestly - I want to never forget.....

****The affirmations that Nik shared as he was on the wire.
****Kneeling to gain control
****Remember the Name

Affirmations - While Nik was "doing his job" last night - in front of that crowd on the reservation and in front of all of us watching on The Discovery Channel - he continually spoke to God - of God - and acknowledged His power.  Am I willing to affirm God in all of the settings I am in?  Yes my world might not appear to be as dangerous as what Nik was doing - but isn't this life all about the dangers and the more we affirm Jesus and His power - perhaps our walk across will be more successful?

Kneeling - Nik kneeled to regain his composure - perhaps to focus and get some control.  The wire was quivering beneath him.  Reminds me of life....how often am I willing to kneel?

Remembering a Name -  Not knowing The Wallendas was not such a big deal - but remembering the Name that Nik remembered while walking across is certainly valuable.  My mom knows both names - her well read knowledge never ceases to amaze me but her faith has been the real example to me for always.

One more thought......

The text from Son Two as Nik finished - and watching (the recorded version of course!) creates a huge smile....

He ran!

There's surely more parallels we could make with that remembrance.


Hebrews 12:1-2

New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus,the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.




Always, May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment